Sunday 22 September, 2019

Top Cop: Carnival still under threat, seven detained

Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams says Carnival 2018 is still under threat.

Williams made the comment at a media conference on Saturday afternoon.

 “Yes, Carnival is still under threat. What we are doing on a daily basis is moving speedily to try to eliminate that threat,” the top Cop told reporters.

On Thursday, the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) at a special media briefing revealed that it unearthed ‘credible’ information of a threat to disrupt Carnival activities. Four people were detained.

Williams announced today that three more people have been detained, bringing the figure to seven.

Related Article

“I wish to give the assurance to residents and visitors that the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service continues to address the threat to disrupt Carnival 2018 festivities... The threat that we speak about is of unusual criminal acts of varying forms including violence. Since our last update we continued with the investigation and have detained three more persons bringing the number of individuals detained in relation to this matter to seven,” Williams said.

The Acting Police Commissioner added that the investigation remains a live one.

He said contrary to rumours and media reports, the Police Service has not unearthed any threat to any embassy or high commission in Trinidad and Tobago.

Related Article

On Thursday, mere hours after the Police Service’s announcement the US Embassy in Trinidad and Tobago issued a security alert saying that a terror plot had been thwarted.

US government personnel were advised to exercise additional caution and increase situational awareness if they participate in Carnival events, out of an abundance of caution.

The United Kingdom's Foreign Office also issued an advisory.

Williams refused to comment on a CNN report on Friday which indicated that US troops played a role in averting a Carnival terror attack in this country.

“I will not speak about the publication in the international press, generally I try to stay away from even the publications in the local press,” Williams said adding that the TTPS is in full control of the investigation.

He added that under his watch there will be no attack against Muslims.

This after the Islamic Front said that they were being targeted by the state.

He, however, confirmed that two Masjids have been searched.

Williams declined to give additional information on the suspects or the locations in T&T that were targeted by the threats.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: