Monday 20 November, 2017

Traffic Alert: Knox Street to be closed off permanently

For drivers and pedestrians, there will be no more access to a part Knox Street - at least until the renovation of the Red House is complete. 

The Ministry of Works and Transport issued a public notice on Friday to advise the public that the portion of Knox Street, Port of Spain, situated between St Vincent and Abercromby Streets, will be closed permanently (Under Section 38 of the Highways Act). 

The closure will effect from Monday, November 6, 2017. 

The Ministry said this has become necessary to facilitate additional facilities for the restored Red House. 

The Ministry said it apologises for the inconvenience caused and thanked the public for its cooperation. 

Government resumed reconstruction of the Red House last year after the project was halted following the discovery of prehistoric bones belonging to indigenous people underneath the building's foundation. 

Completion of the project, which is being undertaken by The Urban Development Corporation of T&T (Udecott), is estimated to cost approximately $400 million, in addition to preliminary consultancy and construction work which cost Government approximately $110 million. 

Government said the project is scheduled to be completed in 2018.