Trinidad and Tobago's weather: Heavy showers, thunderstorms expected
The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service has issued an Adverse Weather Alert - Yellow Level, as heavy showers passed over parts of Trinidad in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
The Met Office said adverse conditions should last from 5:00 am to 2:00 pm on Tuesday.
"Cloudy periods with showers, at times heavy are expected to occur in broad areas while thunderstorms are forecast in a few areas. Some improvement is expected during the afternoon with showers in a few areas lingering into the night."
"Street or flash flooding is expected in areas of heavy showers and gusty winds are likely in the vicinity of thunderstorms."
"Landslips or landslides can occur in areas so prone."
The public is advised to monitor weather conditions and updates from official sources, plan safety measures, and follow the instructions of government officials.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management has issued the following tips for citizens to stay prepared:
1. Place important personal documents, valuables and vital medical supplies in a waterproof bag or container in an accessible and high location.
2. Pre-position sandbags around your property especially if your area or home has a history of flooding or has been recently affected.
3. If there are signs of flooding near your home, move important items to a higher floor if possible.
4. After heavy rainfall stay indoors until waters have subsided.
5. Do not walk, play or drive in flood waters.
6. Be cautious when walking/driving along hillsides ir landslide-prone areas.
7. If you are affected by adverse weather please contact your Municipal Corporation or the Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) on 211.
REGIONAL CORPORATION HOTLINE NUMBERS
Diego Martin Regional Corporation: 800-DMRC (3672)
San Juan/Laventille Regional Corporation: 800-SLRC (7572)
Arima Borough Corporation: 800-2ABC (2222)
Tunapuna/Piarco Regional Corporation: 800-TPRC (8272)
Port-of-Spain City Corporation: 800-PSCC (7722)
Sangre Grande Regional Corporation: 800-SGRC (7472)
Chaguanas Borough Corporation: 800-DCBC (3222)
Couva/Tabaquite/Talparo Regional Corporation: 800-CTTC (2882)
Mayaro/Rio Claro Regional Corporation: 800-4MRC (4672)
Princes Town Regional Corporation: 800-PTRC (7872)
Point Fortin Borough Corporation: 800-PFBC (7322)
San Fernando City Corporation: 800-SCDU (7238)
Penal/Debe Regional Corporation: 800-PDRC (7372)
Siparia Regional Corporation: 800-4SRC (4772)
Seas: Slight to Moderate
Waves: 1.0m to 1.5m in open waters
Near calm in sheltered areas
Trinidad: 29℃ (Max)
Tobago: 30℃ (Max)
Port of Spain
High: *****, 1:44 pm
Low: 6:42 am, 6:43 pm
High: 12:07 am, 1:48 pm
Low: 7:09 am, 6:56 pm
For more information please visit the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management on www.odpm.gov.tt
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop