Wednesday 30 September, 2020

Trinidad’s link to Guyana’s first case of COVID-19

The 52-year-old woman who died of the coronavirus in Guyana transited through the Piarco International Airport. 

This was confirmed by National Security Minister Stuart Young at Thursday's post-cabinet media briefing.

Young said: “All of the contact protocols and contact tracing have been taking place. The Chief Medical Officer and his team are also in touch with CAL (Caribbean Airlines)."

According to a release from Caribbean Airlines, the woman travelled on March 7 on BW 521 from John F. Kennedy, International Airport, New York to Piarco International Airport, Trinidad in transit (on the same day) to BW 526 from Piarco International to Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Guyana.

Passengers travelling on to Guyana on this flight typically remain on the aircraft during the stop. 

Five days later, she was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital after her diabetes and hypertension intensified.

She died on Wednesday and officials took samples after they were told the woman spent time in New York, where there are over 60 cases of COVID-19.

Officials in Guyana have also started contacting people who may have interacted with the woman.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh said Immigration Officers and other front line officers are being provided with personal protective equipment (PPE)

“The health and safety of front line personnel are uppermost in the mind of the Government. We have more than enough PPE but we are jealously guarding it except for routine daily use. When there is an outbreak in a particular area we have total control over the stock and can rush it to the hotspot,”

An emergency supply will also be held at the Health Ministry’s head office in Port of Spain.

If T&T’s stock goes low, the Government has access to a Pan American Health stock located in Panama and the shipment will arrive in 48 hours.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: