TTPS: Reports of person eaten by shark false
Police have rubbished reports circulating that human remains were found in a dead tiger shark in the Gulf of Paria.
Graphic photos of the remains found in the shark were shared across social media, along with a link to an article about local fishermen who went missing at sea last month.
The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) in a statement on Monday sought to remind the public to be wary of false information sent via social media, which can cause unnecessary panic and anxiety.
The TTPS said the photos did not originate in Trinidad and Tobago, and the persons seen in the photo bringing the dead shark ashore are not members of the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard.
A check by LoopTT revealed that the photos in question are associated with a September 2010 incident. The Business Insider said “an i-banker with Xanthos Investment, caught a shark and found a man's body inside - when the shark unexpectedly burped up a foot.”
Police say two fishermen; 30-year-old Jason Baptiste and 19-year-old Justin Kissoon, remain missing at sea.