Uber reviewing security measures after driver's murder
Uber said it will be addressing security issues for drivers in various markets after the murder of Uber driver Christopher Mohammed on May 17, 2018.
Julie Robinson, Uber’s spokesperson, said to LoopTT that the company is looking at implementing new features to the company's ride-sharing app.
“The security of our drivers and users is very important for us, that is why we are implementing new features in different markets in favour of reinforcing the security in our platform," she said.
Robinson also offered condolences to Mohammed's family.
“We truly regret the heartbreaking loss of Christopher Mohammed. The company is in constant communication with the authorities to give them all the information they need to proceed with the investigation," Robinson said.
28-year-old Christopher Mohammed was found dead in some bushes near Mucurapo Road, St James on May 17. It is thought that he had been killed for his car, which was recovered the following day.
Mohammed, a former student of Hillview College, began working with the company in order to help pay off for his car which he recently bought.
Another Uber driver, who chose to remain anonymous, said that he had been attacked and his car stolen while answering a call for a pickup in Belmont in March 2018.
The driver said that prior to these robberies an alert should have been sent to other drivers to prevent them from going into those areas.
He said if a driver rejects a call, they are given a 'time out' which means fewer calls that day because of the programme's reward system.
Facebook page Uber Drivers Trinidad stated that drivers are at risk as the system in Trinidad and Tobago is not cashless and called for these safety concerns to be addressed.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop