Venezuelan teen gives statement on attack, charges imminent
Today marks one week since an 18-year-old Venezuelan woman was found bleeding at the side of the roadway in Debe.
However, despite the arrests of two men in connection with the incident, charges have yet to be laid against the suspects.
The woman, Loop News was told, has given a statement to police investigators via a translator.
This is said to be one of the final things needed for the inquiry into her attack in which a 26-year-old Special Reserve Police Officer and a 20-year-old security guard, have been identified as being the culprits.
Authorities are hoping to lay charges on the suspects by tomorrow.
The 18-year-old woman, who was said to be an empanadas vendor, remained warded in a stable condition at the San Fernando General Hospital up to yesterday, recovering from her injuries.
The two suspects were held at about 11.20 am on Wednesday in a vehicle which matched the description of a car which had been used in the heinous attack. They were held along the west-bound lane of the Audrey Jeffers Highway, near the Foreshore.
PC McClean and PC Sahadath of the Western Division Task Force were conducting patrols in the area when they found out that the vehicle had been seen in the area. The officers immediately responded and intercepted the suspects.
The vehicle was taken to the Special Evidence Recovery Unit in Camp Cumuto for DNA analysis.
Less than 24 hours prior, on Tuesday afternoon, the victim was found lying on the ground off the M2 Ring Road in Debe by a PH taxi-driver. He contacted the police and paramedics.
The woman — who was covered with blood and had what appeared to be stab wounds to her hand, chest, and face — was rushed to the San Fernando General Hospital. She was later identified as an 18-year-old Venezuelan national, who works as a vendor and lives in Siparia.