Sunday 17 December, 2017

VIDEO: Fire on Nelson Street leaves 1 dead, 2 families homeless

A fire on Saturday night at an apartment block on Nelson Street, Port of Spain, has reportedly left one wheelchair-using man dead, and two families without a home.

The deceased was identified as Jameel Allamby, 33.

Reports indicate that between the hours of 2:30 am and 2:50am, fireworks set off in the Mango Rose area came into contact with an unoccupied unit of Apartment 55-57 on Nelson Street. The unit was set ablaze with the fire subsequently spreading to the apartment above, where Allamby lived.

The man, who uses a wheelchair, reportedly died after he fell through the wooden floor of his apartment into the apartment below. 

The fire spread to another dwelling unit, occupied by 70-year-old Edward Trudge. Trudge's apartment was partially destroyed by the fire while the original unit and Alamby's above it were completely destroyed.

Allamby's mother, who was present, was said to be too distraught to speak with officials on the scene. 

DMO Dr Naidike responded to the scene and ordered Allamby's body removed to the Guide's Funeral Home pending transfer to the Forensic Science Centre on January 3. 

Fire officers from the Belmont and Wright Road Fire Stations responded to the fire.