Thursday 2 July, 2020

Flash flooding causes grief in Port of Spain

Photo: ODPM

Photo: ODPM

Parts of Port of Spain were underwater again after scattered showers on Thursday,  according to reports from citizens and official agencies. 

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Management (ODPM) said in a Tweet Thursday that flash flooding had been seen on South Quay and George Street.

Citizens are asked to avoid Port of Spain if possible and seek alternative routes, or stay inside in a safe place until floodwaters subside. 

 

In February, the Ministry of Works and Transport indicated that a project was underway to alleviate flooding in the capital.

Minister of Works and Transport Rohan Sinanan said that there is a challenge regarding flooding in the capital.

"When South Quay floods, which is very often, the entire city shuts down...and nothing happens. So we started this pilot project and this phase has been completed (sump pump and construction of a drain to help flood waters drain out into the ocean)."

He said that the city did not keep up with growing infrastructure in years past and now remedial works must be done. 

Sinanan said if the system works then the method would be replicated in other parts of Port of Spain. 

On August 21, heavy showers in Port of Spain led to severe flash flooding, leaving citizens stranded. 

Recently, Penal/Debe councillor Shanty Boodram expressed concern about her area, saying that the community was sufficiently prepared for heavy rains. The area suffered from flooding in 2018 and 2017, causing damages to homes and businesses. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: