Wednesday 18 July, 2018

Watch: Horror over mould found in Orchard juice

A woman was left horrified after discovering mould at the bottom several cartons of Orchard juice purchased from a wholesaler.

In a video posted to Facebook earlier this week, the woman said a complaint was made to manufacturer Nestlé.

 

She further claimed that her child fell ill after drinking some of the juice.

“We went to Nestlé and made a complaint and a woman said to take the baby to the doctor and that it’s just mould and they will pay the bill. I’m not buying anything in a box again,” she said.

In response, Nestlé said mould growth inside of their juice drink products occurs “very infrequently”. Damage to the carton, however, can lead to food mould formation.

“While the company takes every precaution in the manufacturing and handling of our products, damage to the carton may occur if the item falls or is dented during transportation or handling, after leaving our factory. This can allow air to enter the package.

Food mould is a type of fungus which can grow on any food/fruit/juice etc if it is left exposed to open atmosphere (intentionally or unintentionally). This is especially true for fruit or fruit based beverages.”

The company also encouraged customers to check the packaging for damage before purchase.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop

Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop