Woman who went on chopping spree being mentally assessed
The woman who attacked six people in Santa Cruz, is currently being treated at the St Ann’s Psychiatric Hospital.
The 33-year-old woman, police said, appeared before a Port of Spain Magistrate last week on charges of assault.
The matter was adjourned and the woman was sent to the hospital for an assessment before the court will proceed any further.
The court is trying to determine if the woman is mentally fit to be the subject of a trial.
The incident reportedly took place on July 28, at a “geriatric home” at Dhankoo Hill, La Caonoa Road, Santa Cruz.
Police said that the 33-year-old woman from Diego Martin, was only brought to the facility by workers from the psychiatric hospital three days before the attack.
However, around 1 pm on July 28, the woman had an argument with workers at the facility in which she began to loudly proclaim that she had been kidnapped.
The woman then secured several sharp instruments, including a Chinese Chopper, and went on to injure six people – two men and four women between the ages of 17 and 63.
Thankfully, due to the actions of workers at the facility as well as residents of the area, the 33-year-old woman was secured until the arrival of police.
The six injured parties - a 40-year-old man, a 63-year-old man, and four women aged 17, 20, 54, and 55, were all rushed to the Port of Spain General Hospital.
The scene was visited by a team of officers from the Santa Cruz Police Station and the North Eastern Division, including WPC Clement, PC Fraser, WPC Daniel and PC Lewis.
The injured parties have all been treated and discharged.
The home, LoopTT was told, is also currently being investigated to determine if it was properly registered with the Ministry of Health.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/GetALoop
Download the Loop News Caribbean app on the App Store: http://bit.ly/GetiLoop