Thursday 23 January, 2020

Young: Information on suspicious activity coming in

National Security Minister, Stuart Young says banks and businesses have been reporting suspicious transactions linked to the change over to the new polymer notes. 

Speaking in this week’s Post Cabinet Media Briefing, Young says banks have been keeping a keen eye on things. “We have instances of people turning up claiming to have very questionable professions that are coming with one million dollars,” he said. He later revealed that he was referring to a barber who attempted to carry out the transaction. 

Young also said that over $270 million in polymer notes have been distributed over the last two days. 

Revealing that his Ministry had been planning the operation since 2017, Young said the decision to change over the notes was very calculated. “There is no way that as an administration, having the information we had, we were prepared to allow exactly what the population are now seeing,” he explained. 

Young says business places have also been looking closely at consumer habits. “Instances of persons turning up with a million dollars trying to purchase foreign used cars, persons turning up trying to buy hundreds of thousands worth in jewelry,” he said. 

The Minister advised businesses that if suspicious transactions are noticed, police are on hand to assist. “It is within the ambit of police officers, customs officers as well, when faced with persons with large sums of money who do not have a proper explanation as to how they came about with the money, for law enforcement to carry out an interrogation process where if it is not satisfied, a seizure process and then it goes to court, that is being employed.” he continued. 

The Minister of National Security thanked all the agencies employed under his authority for their assistance in carrying out the operation. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

  

Comments