Monday 19 August, 2019

Young: No change in US travel advice

There has been no change in the travel advice regarding Trinidad and Tobago issued by the United States.

That’s according to National Security Minister Stuart Young, who, at the Post Cabinet media briefing at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s on Thursday responded to reports of a travel advisory issued by the US Department of State which advised US travelers to T&T to exercise increased caution due to crime and terrorism.

He said an analysis of the recently updated travel advice and the previously issued one showed no substantial changes.

Young said he contacted the US Government and he was informed that the only changes in language were stylistic changes.

He advised that there was no change in the US Travel Advisory system, adding that it did not increase any threat level compared to the last advisory issued in February 2018.

“In fact, I made this point during the Carnival period that it was a good endorsement of all that we had been doing at the Ministry of National Security that none of our foreign ally countries in issuing travel advisories had changed.”  

The Minister added that he has initiated the process to have the language used in the advisory with respect to terrorists revised. 

"I can tell you... I've engaged the US Embassy here in Trinidad and I'd like them to send back to the US Government in Washington that we want to relook some of the language in there, in particular with respect to the language about terrorists attacks etc. were words previously employed in the travel advisory last year facing a completely different period of time and that is going to happen.

So we have begun the engagement process of revising it in a downward position, hopefully," Young said. 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: