Thursday 22 August, 2019

Young: No extension of Venezuelan migrant registration

National Security Minister Stuart Young addresses Venezuelan migrants at the Registration Centre at the Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain. Photo courtesy the National Security Ministry.

National Security Minister Stuart Young addresses Venezuelan migrants at the Registration Centre at the Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain. Photo courtesy the National Security Ministry.

National Security Minister Stuart Young has maintained that there will be no extension of the two-week period for registration of Venezuelan migrants.

Speaking with reporters following a tour of the Registration Centre at Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain Young said it was expected that there would be an influx of Venezuelan nationals coming forward to be registered.

He said in spite of this, Government would “continue to do exactly what we have to do” and there would be no extension granted.

While things have so far been running smoothly, Young had to bring some order to the process as crowds outside the Oval waiting to be registered failed to line up properly.

Megaphone in hand and communicating via a translator, he threatened to shut down the registration for the day if registrants refused to maintain order.

Members of the Police Service and Defence Force personnel were on hand to assist in clearing the crowds from spilling onto the streets and back into organised lines along the pavement.

“…sometimes it can become a difficult situation, but it is back under control, it is being well managed and it will continue like that throughout the rest of the day,” Young said.

The Minister, who also toured the San Fernando registration centre on Tuesday said the process has been flowing smoothly and that all the officials involved were managing the flow effectively.

He again took the opportunity to thank Immigration officers, police officers, Defence Force officers, Fire Services officers, volunteers, health services and all those involved in the registration process.

The registration process will be closed on Friday as previously announced and the law will revert the following day.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: