• Trinidad & Tobago
  • Trinidad & Tobago

    Election 2020 Results

Friday 14 August, 2020

Child succumbs to injuries at hospital; babysitters released

A toddler, who was allegedly abused by babysitters in the Talparo district, has died at hospital.

The four-year-old child died at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope on Thursday at 3.25 am.

Police said the suspects were released before the death of the child, and a file on the matter is currently with the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Officers of the Child Protection Unit along with homicide investigators are probing the incident.

Three suspects were initially detained in connection with the alleged abuse of two children.

The children, aged 20 months and four-years-old, were reportedly left in the care of babysitters.

According to reports, on July 14 Northern Division Child Protection Unit (CPU) received a call from a doctor at the Mt Hope Paediatrics ward that a woman brought in a child with injuries allegedly sustained from a fall.

CPU officers immediately responded and hospital staff showed officers the woman who brought in the child to seek medical attention.

Officers interviewed the woman and later learnt that she gave a fake name for both her and the child.

Later that night, the child was rushed in for emergency surgery.

Thereafter, doctors informed CPU officers that the injuries did not match the report given by the woman.

Enquiries led the officers to an area in the Talparo district where they received information surrounding a second child who was hospitalised almost a month ago.

After a search for three days, CPU officers located the biological mother and father for both children. CPU officers sought the assistance of the Homicide Bureau in securing the arrest of the suspects.

On July 20, officers of the CPU handed over a file relating to the matter to the Director of Public Prosecution.

The suspects have since been released.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: