Sunday 7 June, 2020

Update: 821 COVID-19 samples submitted, 7 deaths, 104 positive

Update April 5, 2020, 4.30 pm:

The Ministry of Health confirmed that to date, seven people who tested positive for COVID-19 (formerly novel coronavirus) have died.

In an update issued Sunday afternoon, the Ministry said 821 samples were submitted for testing, an increase of 24 samples since the previous report on Sunday morning. 

The number of people who tested positive for the virus remained constant at 104 since Sunday's morning report.

One person has since been discharged. 

The seventh case, a patient in Tobago, was described as an elderly person with a pre-existing health condition.

The Ministry clarified that of the total number of positive cases, 49 of these positive cases came from the group of nationals who recently returned from a cruise. 

46 positive cases from the group of 68 nationals who returned from the cruise together, while three positive cases came from the group of nationals who returned from the same cruise separately from the other 68 nationals.

The Ministry also said that the public is advised to wear cloth masks and practice safe hygiene by washing hands and maintaining at least six feet distance with other people when going to essential activities in public, for example, supermarkets, banks etc. 

 

Original story: 

The Ministry of Health said a seventh person who tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), has died. 

In an update, the Ministry said that as of Sunday morning, April 5, 2020, one additional death in Tobago was confirmed. 

The Ministry said the patient was an elderly male with pre-existing medical conditions. 

Additionally, the Ministry said one more person tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of positive cases to date to 104. The latest positive result is pending epidemiological investigation.

The Ministry said of the total number of positive cases, 49 of these positive cases came from a group of 68 nationals who recently returned from a cruise. There were three positive cases who returned separately from the same cruise. 

The Ministry said so far, 797 samples have been submitted for testing. 

The Ministry also reminded the public to sanitise all surfaces including items purchases in stores with a bleach and water solution - a simple solution of 1/3 cup of household bleach to one gallon of water is quite effective.

The Ministry also advised the public is to take the following personal hygiene measures to protect themselves and their loved ones from COVID-19:

- Wash hands properly with soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available

- Cover the nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and dispose of the tissue immediately after using

- Cough and sneeze into the crook of the elbow if a tissue is not available

- Avoid touching the face

- Stay home if ill

- Avoid close contact with people who have flu-like symptoms

- Practice social distancing ( (e.g. no kissing, hugging or hand-shaking, avoid unnecessary gatherings). Stay 6 feet away from others.

Additionally, all public transportation vehicles should operate with windows open and limit their occupancy by 50 percent.

The Ministry said it will continue to provide accurate information to the public in a timely fashion. The public is therefore urged to disregard and avoid sharing all unconfirmed, misleading and/or false information about COVID-19 (formerly Novel Coronavirus).

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: