Health protocols in place to safeguard SEA students, MoE assures
Thermal scanning, hand washing, the wearing of masks and social distancing are some of the measures implemented at primary schools since they reopened on July 20 to welcome students preparing for the Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA) exam.
The Education Ministry on Wednesday made the disclosure as it assured that all health and safety protocols issued by the Health Ministry are being followed.
Further, the Education Ministry said in any school where there is deemed the possibility of risk to the health and safety of students, all necessary course of action will be taken.
The assurance follows news of the closure of three primary schools following COVID-19 scares.
In this regard, the Ministry urged citizens to be mindful of the information they share surrounding the positive cases of COVID-19.
“While stakeholders attempt to take all precautions to safe guard children, misinformation is being shared about children being positive for COVID-19 in schools. Such information is even being printed in daily newspapers as editorials, which can cause mass panic and concern if citizens are not accurately informed.”
Meanwhile, commenting on the decision to maintain the August 20 SEA date, the Ministry said teachers and parents have agree that there has been a change in attitudes, performance and mindset of students upon return to the physical classroom.
“The psychological benefits of students being able to prepare for the SEA in a simulated physical space has been reported to have many positive benefits for students.”
The Ministry added that it remains resolute in providing students with the psychological and emotional relief of completing the examination that was previously carded for April 2.
A total of 19,344 students across Trinidad and Tobago will write the SEA exam.
Students sitting the exam will not be required to wear masks, however, physical distancing will be in effect.