Healthy Meals for Kids: Baked Chicken Fingers with Mac & Cheese
Preparing delicious meals for children is sometimes a challenge, but most kids can't say no to Oven-baked Chicken Fingers and Homemade Mac and Cheese.
Check out this how-to video below:
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Fingers with Honey Mustard Dip and Homemade Cheesy Mac
Ingredients for the Chicken Fingers
- Cooking spray
- 2 lbs. chicken tenderloins or sliced chicken breast
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unseasoned panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Set up your breading station. In three separate shallow dishes, place one for flour, one for the beaten egg and one for the breadcrumbs. Season each with salt and pepper but for the Panko add the onion, garlic powder and parmaesan cheese (optional) mix well.
- Coat chicken with flour; dip into egg mixture, then coat with breadcrumb mixture. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink in center and coating is golden brown.
Tip: Uncooked Breaded chicken can be stores in the freezer for a healthy quick weeknight meal that can be cooked from frozen.
Ingredients for the Honey Mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard or regular mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl add the honey, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Wisk the ingredients together until combined and place in the fridge.
Ingredients for the Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 sp. dry mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded provolone and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for about 10 minutes until tender but still firm. Drain well and set aside
- In a deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 min.
- Add the flour to make a roux and cook until the flour is combined into the butter
- Pour in the milk and cook until the mixture is thick and smooth, stirring to remove any lumps using a wire whisk
- With the heat off mix in 2 cups of cheese and mix until melted
- Season cheese sauce with salt and pepper. Add the cooked macaroni and stir
- Serve with the optional breadcrumb topping and enjoy hot
Optional Garlic Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 tbsp. garlic butter
- ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pan on medium-high heat melt the garlic butter and add the bread crumbs.
- Move the breadcrumbs in a pan with a spatula until lightly toasted and golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle on top of mac and cheese