Loop Sunday Lunch - Easy Butter Chicken
What's for lunch? Feeling to spice things up? Try this Easy Butter Chicken courtesy Healthy Fitness Meals:
For the Chicken Marinade
1½ Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Garam Masala
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch chunks
For the sauce:
3 Tbsp Clarified Butter divided
1 Yellow Onion diced
3 Garlic Cloves minced
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Grated Fresh Ginger
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
14 oz Tomato Sauce one can
1½ Cup Coconut Cream well stirred or blended
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Start by marinating the chicken. In a large glass bowl, combine the olive oil with garlic powder,garam masala, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat with the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, up to 24 hours.
- To make the sauce, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Use tongs to add the marinated chicken pieces to the skillet in a single layer, leaving behind the excess marinade, and brown on all sides.
- Cook the chicken in batches, if necessary, and don’t worry about cooking it all the way through at this stage.
- Transfer the browned chicken to a plate. Add another tablespoon of ghee to the skillet, and reduce to medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, garam masala, ginger, chili powder, coriander, and cayenne, and stir to combine.
- Cook the mixture for 45 seconds, then add the tomato sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut cream, and return to a simmer. Return the browned chicken pieces to the skillet, along with any accumulated juices, and use a wooden spoon to settle the chicken into the sauce.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat, until the chicken, is tender and cooked through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.