Musical Vibes: The 10 best St Lucian songs for 2020
Live music and performances have come to a halt as a result of COVID-19, but our artists have been anything but silent during this crisis. Musicians are now bringing their art directly to their fans in the form of live streams, surprise releases and digital concerts. So, don’t worry, music is here to stay, and we need it now more than ever to provide comfort and an escape to make sense of the chaotic world around us.
Let’s update your playlists. Here are my 10 best local songs for 2020 so far:
- Pilot “Plenty Loving” – This song is a whole vibe! The 25-year old artist from Choiseul has created a buzz all over social media with his catchy combination of afro-beats and French Creole. This song is on an international level. The lyrics and his vocals sync into sweet harmony. This song makes you want to have a bae, a boo, plenty loving for real!
- Shemmy J “Baecation” – Riding one of the hottest riddims released for 2020, the Big Mood riddim produced by Big Z, Shemmy J continues to charm the ladies with his slick lyrics and Miami vibes. He is one of the most consistent artists in St Lucia, producing catchy, summertime songs that resonate with a global audience. This song is definitely one of my favourite releases for 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murg3UkAh4U
- Gersham “Your Love” – One of the most underrated reggae artists on the island. Gersham released this song a few days ago and it is already becoming a sensation. Paired with a sweet reggae beat and harmonious vocals, this one will surely steal the hearts of all reggae lovers out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YNFnnFLGs
- Teddyson John “I Pray” – This song is powerful; it is empowering and inspiring. Amidst the chaos, all TJ fans are in for a treat as he encourages them to pray and give thanks for the little things. As usual, he comes through with some outstanding vocals and lots of positive energy which is exactly what we need right now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXOyUiZ9RI
- Michael Robinson x Kiedel Sonny “Jammin behind you” – Michael Robinson is a man of undeniable charm and talent, an amazing vocalist and artist. He released this sweet groovy tune alongside the versatile Kiedel Sonny who has a multitude of talents. The perfect song for a slow, intimate dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFB0dUilJGA
- Jerdel/Jequan “In de Quarantine” – By far one of the most popular Dennery Segment songs on the Quarantine Riddim for 2020. This song makes you want to let loose and get on bad. Although the lyrics are simple, the song itself puts you in a party mood. A true quarantine anthem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgeIWNZvrg
- Umpa “Chile Moda” – Umpa, the Dennery Segment lyrical God never disappoints. In my book, every song he releases is a hit. His tactical Creole and English lyrics on the Quarantine Riddim makes this song worth the hype. Absolutely one of the best songs for 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKBarTZHMAE
- Shemmy J “Tattoo” – I have been hyped about this song from the trailer because I knew it was going to be fire. This song is a summer jam and an anthem for the ladies. Top of my playlist for this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWX5i4fw13Q
- Arthur Allain ft. Rashaad “I do” – When Arthur released an image from the video set for this song everyone thought it was an actual proposal. The five-time Groovy King blessed us with his soft, sensual vocals accompanied by the melodious saxophone rhythms from Rashaad. A very romantic song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niin39hrfeY
- Black Boy “Brap Brap” – I have big respect for Black Boy because he stands out from every other Dennery Segment artist. He is a creole lyricist and slays every single riddim he comes on. This song on the Drama Kids Riddim is no exception. His lyrics and flow syncs nicely with the tempo and gives you that French vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTb7aBwrnYk
These are my 10 best St Lucian tunes for 2020. Did I miss your favourite? Let me know in the comments!