Wednesday 28 October, 2020

Officials: Tobago fire may have been caused by candle

Fire officers said a blaze, which destroyed a Tobago house and resulted in the death of 59-year-old Lilga Alleyne-Peters, may have been caused by a candle which was left unattended.

Sources said an autopsy has been ordered and is expected to be performed this week as part of the official inquiries into her death.

Fire officers are expected to return to the scene of the blaze today, however, based on the fire patterns observed, it was believed that the fire began in the woman’s bedroom.

The fire began around 5am on Monday at Alleyne-Peters’ home along Spring Garden Trace, Tobago.

Damage to the building was estimated at $700,000, with superficial damage observed to neighbouring structures at less than $10,000.

Alleyne-Peters’ son, Lorrick Peters, along with a neighbour, suffered non-life-threatening injuries when they attempted to save the 59-year-old woman.

When officials contained the blaze, Alleyne-Peters’ body was found on a staircase to the eastern side of the building.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: