Taking Care - Help! School is now at home
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed life as we know it.
We are now required to take additional precautions to safeguard ourselves and our loved ones while adapting to changing paradigms in the home.
In this Taking Care series, sponsored by the Trinidad and Tobago Unit Trust Corporation, the team of psychologists at Douglas & Associates Limited shares pertinent and practical solutions to navigating your way in the new normal.
In the first episode of Taking Care, Hannah Howard, Educator, Douglas & Associates Limited, discusses a topic facing many – online learning.
Children of all ages and parents alike are required to embrace a style of learning that is relatively new to us in Trinidad and Tobago, and in this video, Howard elaborates on seven tips for facilitating a healthy learning environment at home:
- Have a designated device for your child and ensure that your child knows how to use the device before online school sessions begin
- Have a designated space that allows your child to focus on learning
- Set a routine that is easy to follow
- Review expectations with your child’s teacher(s) so that you and your child know what is expected via online learning
- Identify psychological challenges that you and your child may be facing
- Parent-Teacher synergy by means of open communication with each other to support the development of your child
- Creativity is important to keeping your child stimulated and interested in learning
Howard also recommends being patient with yourself and with your child as you both adapt to remote learning.